(chiefly British also sulphurous)
Definition of sulfurous in English:
1(Chiefly of vapor or smoke) containing or derived from sulfur: wafts of sulfurous fumes
More example sentences
- The hot thermal pools are fringed by extraordinarily colourful mineral deposits, while sulphurous steam percolates all around.
- The air is filled with sulphurous gas, the streets are covered with debris from fireworks and rivers are defiled by chemicals.
- Water, carbon dioxide, and sulphurous gases are common volcanic gases.
- Tube worms and other animals use bacteria to convert sulphurous minerals into useful substances.
- Golf courses, desert safaris and medical tourism (Palmyra is rich in sulphurous water) and marinas are all in the offing.
- The spa is open seven days a week, and people of all ages come here for cures in the hot sulphurous water (35 degree C).
1.2Like sulfur in color; pale yellow.
- A modest, horizontal rectangle, its center is occupied by a carefully modulated gray scale, shading from light to dark and gently contained on either side by a narrow bar of dry, sulfurous yellow.
- As I looked around the theater, the lights half up to a sulfurous yellow gloom after the dancers' exit, I wondered what, in fact, people actually do think about in these circumstances.
- An upthrust mountain at center is bathed in an explosion of sulfurous yellow rising above a vaporous veil of green, with the pale-lavender light of something like moonrise off to the right.
1.3Marked by bad temper, anger, or profanity: a sulfurous glance
More example sentences
- The truth is that their anonymous campaigns are born, not out of doing good but out of a sulphurous mixture of envy, resentment and moral cowardice.
- But when the awkward experiment with new language brings no instant reward, he too would retreat to the comfort zone where the Tories fought the last election - in sulphurous clouds of fear, crime, immigration, Europe and mayhem.
- A stylish, sulphurous first feature from director Jose Enrique Fonseca, Man Of The Year (O Homem Do Ano), offers further proof that Brazil is a country whose cinema demands closer investigation.
Definition of sulfurous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan