(chiefly British also sulphurous)
1(Chiefly of vapor or smoke) containing or derived from sulfur: wafts of sulfurous fumes
More example sentences
- The hot thermal pools are fringed by extraordinarily colourful mineral deposits, while sulphurous steam percolates all around.
- The air is filled with sulphurous gas, the streets are covered with debris from fireworks and rivers are defiled by chemicals.
- Water, carbon dioxide, and sulphurous gases are common volcanic gases.
- Tube worms and other animals use bacteria to convert sulphurous minerals into useful substances.
- Golf courses, desert safaris and medical tourism (Palmyra is rich in sulphurous water) and marinas are all in the offing.
- The spa is open seven days a week, and people of all ages come here for cures in the hot sulphurous water (35 degree C).
1.2Like sulfur in color; pale yellow.
- A modest, horizontal rectangle, its center is occupied by a carefully modulated gray scale, shading from light to dark and gently contained on either side by a narrow bar of dry, sulfurous yellow.
- As I looked around the theater, the lights half up to a sulfurous yellow gloom after the dancers' exit, I wondered what, in fact, people actually do think about in these circumstances.
- An upthrust mountain at center is bathed in an explosion of sulfurous yellow rising above a vaporous veil of green, with the pale-lavender light of something like moonrise off to the right.
1.3Marked by bad temper, anger, or profanity: a sulfurous glance
More example sentences
- The truth is that their anonymous campaigns are born, not out of doing good but out of a sulphurous mixture of envy, resentment and moral cowardice.
- But when the awkward experiment with new language brings no instant reward, he too would retreat to the comfort zone where the Tories fought the last election - in sulphurous clouds of fear, crime, immigration, Europe and mayhem.
- A stylish, sulphurous first feature from director Jose Enrique Fonseca, Man Of The Year (O Homem Do Ano), offers further proof that Brazil is a country whose cinema demands closer investigation.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of sulfurous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.