- An unstable weak acid formed when sulfur dioxide dissolves in water. It is used as a reducing and bleaching agent.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: H2SO3
- Common reductants are the active metals, hydrogen, hydrogen sulfide, carbon, carbon monoxide, and sulfurous acid.
- Sulphur dioxide (which forms sulphurous acid in water) is used for commercial dried fruit.
- Sorbic acid, a preservative; tartaric acid, a stabiliser; and citric and sulphurous acid - that's sulphur dioxide to you and me - are all regularly added during the wine making process.
More definitions of sulfurous acidDefinition of sulfurous acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary