A shrub or small tree of the cashew family, with compound leaves, fruits in conical clusters, and bright autumn colors.
- Genera Rhus and Cotinus, family Anacardiaceae: several species, including the North American staghorn sumac (R. typhina), with densely clustered reddish hairy fruits, and poison sumac (R. vernix), with loosely clustered greenish-white fruits. Touching any part of the poison sumac can cause severe dermatitis
More example sentences
- We also have a staghorn sumac tree and pussy willows.
- The most common forms included beech-like trees, poplars, willows, cattails, sumac, soapberry, and conifers such as pines, sequoias, and false cypress.
- Oak trees provide acorns, dogwoods and sumac provide red berries through the fall and winter and serviceberry bears edible berries in late spring or early summer.
Definition of sumac in:
- The British & World English dictionary