- A type of black Japanese ink prepared in solid sticks and used for painting and writing.More example sentences
- The top is deeply black with rubbed sumi ink; the shading fades gradually toward a natural wood color base.
- In the 16 paintings in this show (all but one produced in the last three years), Shinoda uses black sumi and cinnabar inks in asymmetrical compositions that balance empty space.
- In America, some New York School artists took Japanese calligraphy and sumi painting, which is essentially abstract, as a new point of departure.
early 20th century: Japanese, literally 'ink, blacking'.
More definitions of sumiDefinition of sumi in:
- The British & World English dictionary