(also sun belt)
- 1.1 (Sunbelt or Sun Belt) The southern US from California to Florida, noted for resort areas and for the movement of businesses and population into these states from the colder northern states.More example sentences
- In addition, rapid population growth in southern states and sunbelt cities has created an immense service economy and a consequent demand for low-wage labor.
- Many American cities have enjoyed healthy population increases - not just sunbelt capitals like Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Houston but also older cities like New York City (largely due to immigration).
- That said, familiar patterns - frost belt to sunbelt, city to suburbs, immigrants to Los Angeles and New York - are still apparent in the numbers.
More definitions of sunbeltDefinition of sunbelt in:
- The British & World English dictionary