Definition of sunburst in English:
1A sudden brief appearance of the full sun from behind clouds.
- Outside, it is a typical monsoon morning sky alternating between brilliant sunburst and darkening clouds.
- As the blinding sunburst of light faded into fairy dust around him, Sam blinked.
- Other times it was right on - the sunbursts that ended up coming from behind Derek's head as his band launched into the stratosphere.
1.1A decoration or ornament resembling the sun and its rays: [as modifier]: a pair of sunburst diamond earrings
More example sentences
- On these, no neck rings interrupt the sweep of prism cuts from lip to shoulder, and the octagons contain only alternating sunbursts and sharp diamonds.
- The sunburst necklace glittered under the water like a lost treasure.
- She fingered the charm on her necklace, a golden sunburst with the shape of a silver crescent moon in the center.
1.2A pattern of irregular concentric bands of color with the brightest at the center.
- Their organisation created mainly random patterns, but at times exploded into circular sunbursts, whimsical, floral.
- Medallions in relief sunburst patterns alternating with exotic flowers recall the shields adorning entryways in Antiquity at the same time that they embody the vitalism of Martin's occultist obsessions.
- Within the fields of marks, partial images emerge: one can make out spirals, fans, sunbursts and even arrangements suggesting iridescent eyes or a sparkling butterfly wing.
Words that rhyme with sunburstoutburst • Sandhurst
Definition of sunburst in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.