Definition of sunburst in English:
1A sudden brief appearance of the full sun from behind clouds.
- Outside, it is a typical monsoon morning sky alternating between brilliant sunburst and darkening clouds.
- As the blinding sunburst of light faded into fairy dust around him, Sam blinked.
- Other times it was right on - the sunbursts that ended up coming from behind Derek's head as his band launched into the stratosphere.
1.1A decoration or ornament resembling the sun and its rays: [as modifier]: a pair of sunburst diamond earrings
More example sentences
- On these, no neck rings interrupt the sweep of prism cuts from lip to shoulder, and the octagons contain only alternating sunbursts and sharp diamonds.
- The sunburst necklace glittered under the water like a lost treasure.
- She fingered the charm on her necklace, a golden sunburst with the shape of a silver crescent moon in the center.
1.2A pattern of irregular concentric bands of color with the brightest at the center.
- Their organisation created mainly random patterns, but at times exploded into circular sunbursts, whimsical, floral.
- Medallions in relief sunburst patterns alternating with exotic flowers recall the shields adorning entryways in Antiquity at the same time that they embody the vitalism of Martin's occultist obsessions.
- Within the fields of marks, partial images emerge: one can make out spirals, fans, sunbursts and even arrangements suggesting iridescent eyes or a sparkling butterfly wing.
Words that rhyme with sunburstoutburst • Sandhurst
Definition of sunburst in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan