Definition of superheat in English:
1Heat (a liquid) under pressure above its boiling point without vaporization.
- Water below the surface is not directly exposed to the atmosphere and can remain a liquid as it superheats above this temperature.
- The nonstop operation also tends to superheat oil used in equipment, breaking down its viscosity.
1.1Heat (a vapor) above its temperature of saturation.
- It is common ground that superheating of the fuel gas was necessary.
- For decades, steelmakers have used highly polluting ovens to turn powdery coal and iron ore into chunks called coke and sinter, which are melted with superheated air to make iron.
- They processed starch and an oil, such as soy oil, together in superheated steam under pressure and noted the unusual nature of a gel that came out of the jet cooker.
nounBack to top
The excess of temperature of a vapor above its temperature of saturation.
- Mold conditions, pouring rate, and other process variables being equal, the fluidity of commercial gray irons depends primarily on the amount of superheat above the freezing temperature (liquidus).
- More importantly, propane will vaporize and absorb superheat at low ambient temperatures - not possible with water.
- The gas from the two dedicated Zechstein wells is currently of sufficiently high pressure to drive the turbine. A fuel gas heater is being used to supply superheat to the gas.
- Example sentences
- Firstly, they were in regular service for 20 years with nothing more drastic than the provision of standard boilers and superheaters.
- Larger superheaters and eventually double chimneys were aids to improved performance over the years.
- At a convenient high point above the water level is the regulator valve, which admits steam to a main steam pipe carrying it forward to the smokebox and then through the superheater, and so to the cylinders.
Definition of superheat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.