Definition of superlative in English:
1Of the highest quality or degree: a superlative piece of skill
More example sentences
- It also makes one wonder how many superlative pieces of literature might be lurking out there, forgotten.
- He was supposed to be recognized for his superlative skill with flight combat and drafted immediately into the test pilot corps.
- At that time it was a contemporary drama; now it is a period piece, and the transition is managed with superlative intelligence.
2 Grammar (Of an adjective or adverb) expressing the highest or a very high degree of a quality (e.g., bravest, most fiercely). Contrasted with positive and comparative.
- The result was a phenomenal success and classical music critics around the world competed with each other to invent ever-new terms of superlative praise.
nounBack to top
2 (usually superlatives) An exaggerated or hyperbolical expression of praise: the critics ran out of superlatives to describe him
More example sentences
- And the only one who saw through the hyperbole and the meaningless superlatives was my Aunt Petunia, and she was half-deaf.
- After writing nearly 100 DVD reviews, one begins to run out of superlatives to describe the better discs which pass before the eyes and ears.
- I can heap superlatives attempting to describe the merits of this film.
- [as submodifier]: he was superlatively fitMore example sentences
- In the dry season (December to June) Castara Bay is superlatively clear, with a healthy coral reef beginning about 50 yards offshore.
- The action is covered in a series of long takes with superlatively choreographed movement within the frame.
- He had been recognized years ago as a superlatively gifted and disciplined craftsman.
- Example sentences
- It is a movement of life which shows life in its superlativeness and at its best.
- It is applied as an epithet denoting superlativeness of any quality.
- I agree with you on the superlativeness of a really good dark chocolate truffle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan