- 1.1(Of a person) not belonging to a regular staff but engaged for extra work.More example sentences
- Many of these men were drawn from among the ranks of principal and supernumerary soldiers serving in guard units of the Northern Metropolitan Area, a pool of men with a modicum of military training and ready access to the weapons of the day.
- As the number of supernumerary troops in the garrisons grew, many were put to work on the agricultural colonies, becoming servants and construction laborers, or pressed into active military service.
- Consider, for example, the mid-fifteenth century case of Duan Gang, a supernumerary soldier from a guard unit attached to an imperial prince who resided in Luzhou, Shanxi Province.
- 1.3 Botany & Zoology Denoting a structure or organ occurring in addition to the normal ones: a pair of supernumerary teatsMore example sentences
- The most common variation of the lungs is the presence of supernumerary fissures.
- Most frequently seen are supernumerary nipples anywhere along the primitive milk line, though true accessory mammary glands are most frequently located in the axilla (polymastia).
- Various cases of supernumerary testicles have been reported during operations or in physical examination (without histological proof, however).
noun (plural supernumeraries)Back to top
- A supernumerary person or thing.More example sentences
- They were there merely as props, as so many supernumeraries in his private psychodrama.
- Although public indignation at the burgeoning Civil List led to some drastic pruning, the Royal supernumeraries continued to live high on the hog.
- The rest of the cast are really supernumeraries; other ranks, captured German soldiers, etc although, again, they are well played and convincing in what they are called upon to do.
early 17th century: from late Latin supernumerarius '(soldier) added to a legion after it is complete', from Latin super numerum 'beyond the number'.
More definitions of supernumeraryDefinition of supernumerary in:
- The British & World English dictionary