- A taxonomic category that ranks above order and below class.More example sentences
- Moreover, each category can also have prefixes to create a higher grouping (super-), or lower (sub-, infra-) subdivisions. So now there is also superorder, suborder, infraorder, subgenus, and subspecies.
- For example, the Piciformes are in the superorder Ciconii, whereas the Passeriformes are in the superorder Passeri; likewise, the Anseriformes are in the Ciconii, whereas the Galliformes are in the Passeri.
- Arbacia belongs to the superorder Stirodonta, whereas Echinometra and Strongylocentrotus belong to the superorder Camarodonta.
More definitions of superorderDefinition of superorder in:
- The British & World English dictionary