Definition of superpose in English:
Place (something) on or above something else, especially so that they coincide: (as adjective superposed) a border of superposed triangles
More example sentences
- The stability of each domain was examined by superposing each domain of each frame of the trajectory onto itself in the first frame.
- The global flexibility of the proteins was measured by calculating the average structure for each simulation and then superposing each frame onto the average structure and calculating the RMSD.
- For example, the displacement of a solid linear brick element's node is a 3-component spatial vector, and the model's overall displacement is often displayed by superposing the deformed shape over the undeformed shape.
Early 19th century: from French superposer, from super- 'above' + poser 'to place'.
- Example sentences
- Enantiomorphs belong to a special class of symmetry that is actually closer to a dissymmetry: ‘the mirror image of [the crystal is] not superposable upon the crystal itself.’
- Your two hands are not superposable; when your palms face in the same direction, for instance, one thumb will be up, while the other will be down.
- Since electrostatic forces are superposable, it follows that electric fields are also superposable.
- Example sentences
- He says the energy uncertainty between two superposed states means that all superpositions are inherently unstable and limited to a certain lifetime.
- While every electron is set to a spin state of ‘up’ or ‘down’, the horizontal quantum spin states are superpositions of the spin-up and spin-down states.
- Clearly, the autocorrelation profiles in mixed phase regions are not superpositions of a diffusion process in a pure fluid phase and another diffusion process in a pure gel phase.
Definition of superpose in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan