nounBack to top
- 1 Mathematics A surd number, especially the irrational root of an integer.More example sentences
- They were learning about surds in maths, supposedly one of the hardest subjects.
- I don't care about rationalising denominators with surds in them, and I don't care that by using maths induction you can prove many equations to be right or wrong.
- In the conventional school education in India, we are asked to do some problems involving surds (radicals).
mid 16th century: from Latin surdus 'deaf, mute'; as a mathematical term, translating Greek (Euclid) alogos 'irrational, speechless', apparently via Arabic jiḏr aṣamm, literally 'deaf root'. The phonetics senses date from the mid 18th century.
More definitions of surdDefinition of surd in:
- The British & World English dictionary