Definition of surficial in English:
Of or relating to the earth’s surface: surficial deposits
More example sentences
- He also led bedrock and surficial geologic mapping projects in the Chugach Mountains of South Central Alaska for five years.
- The most important aspect of the New Jersey research for the Navy is the effects on the acoustics of shallow-water continental shelf environments of surficial stratigraphic development and preservation.
- Another strong argument against the mammoth death-in-the-Flood hypothesis is that the Beringian animals are buried in unconsolidated surficial sediments overlying lithified sedimentary rocks.
late 19th century: from surface, on the pattern of superficial.
- Example sentences
- The chalcopyrite is mostly surficially altered to chrysocolla, tenorite, and limonite.
- Numerous newly collected ‘star cobbles’ from Georgia have siliceous spicules preserved surficially and internally.
- Three configurations of broadband seismic instruments were deployed: a borehole seismometer, a sensor buried surficially in the sediments, and a sensor resting on the seafloor.
Definition of surficial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan