noun (plural same or surgeonfishes)
- A deep-bodied and typically brightly colored tropical marine fish with a scalpellike spine on each side of the tail.
More example sentences
- Family Acanthuridae: several genera and many species. See also tang3
- Damselfish make up almost half, with angelfish, surgeonfish, wrasses, gobies, and butterfly fish accounting for another 25 to 30 percent.
- Acanthurids, commonly known as surgeonfishes, are characterized by the existence of the ‘scalpel,’ a distinctive spine or group of spines on either side of the tail base, hence the common name surgeonfish.
- Most of what you see here are coral fish like various wrasses, squirrelfish, Moorish Idols, parrotfish, angelfish, surgeonfish and butterflyfish.
More definitions of surgeonfishDefinition of surgeonfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary