Definition of suricate in English:
A gregarious burrowing meerkat with dark bands on the back and a black-tipped tail, native to southern Africa.
- Suricata suricatta, family Herpestidae
- Meet Paris, the suricate, and Mofuli, the rabbit, the zoo's beloved furry friends.
- They also make use of the ‘babysitting system’ like the suricates and show similar social behaviour.
- In South Africa, the suricates breed only in the warmest and wettest months of the year when food is most abundant.
late 18th century: via French from a local African word.
Definition of suricate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan