Definition of suricate in English:
A gregarious burrowing meerkat with dark bands on the back and a black-tipped tail, native to southern Africa.
- Suricata suricatta, family Herpestidae
- Meet Paris, the suricate, and Mofuli, the rabbit, the zoo's beloved furry friends.
- They also make use of the ‘babysitting system’ like the suricates and show similar social behaviour.
- In South Africa, the suricates breed only in the warmest and wettest months of the year when food is most abundant.
Late 18th century: via French from a local African word.
Definition of suricate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.