Definition of surrogate mother in English:
1A person, animal, or thing that takes on all or part of the role of mother to another person or animal.
- As a kid, my mom had to juggle her studies and her role as a surrogate mother to her sisters and brothers, because her mother, my grandmother, was quite mad.
- Buttons the beagle quickly adopted Monty and became his surrogate mother - a role she also played for Rommel.
- She had always seen her aunt as a surrogate mother after her mother had passed away.
2A woman who bears a child on behalf of another woman, either from her own egg fertilized by the other woman’s partner, or from the implantation in her uterus of a fertilized egg from the other woman.
- The cell is then treated in an activation medium that allows it to develop into an embryo to be implanted in a surrogate mother's womb.
- The fertilised ovum was then implanted in the womb of the surrogate mother.
- Five more embryos were implanted into a single surrogate mother.
Definition of surrogate mother in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan