1A person who surveys, especially one whose profession is the surveying of land.
- Chartered building surveyors will examine a property (particularly older ones) for structural damage such as subsidence, dry and wet rot and leaking roofs.
- An independent surveyor who examined the building last month reported that it would be unsafe to open the pool without some repairs to the roof and to other parts of the building.
- The company is no longer in existence, and today a firm of chartered quantity surveyors occupies the premises.
1.1A person who investigates or examines something, especially boats for seaworthiness: a marine surveyor
More example sentences
- The editors also liked the listings of thousands of boat ramps, marine surveyors, boat shows, nautical crossword puzzles, and free greeting cards.
- Hire a marine surveyor to inspect the boat prior to purchase.
- Long distance buyers can hire a marine surveyor located near the auction site to evaluate the boat and report on its condition.
- Example sentences
- Robert Milliken resigned the county surveyorship to take charge of the city schools, as superintendent, in 1875.
- In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries it provided by far the greatest number of posts open to architects in the form of surveyorships and clerkships of the works.
- The surveyorship of St Paul's was traditionally held by the Surveyor of the King's Works, but Wren was increasingly involved in overseeing the project for rebuilding.
Words that rhyme with surveyorabaya, betrayer, conveyor, Eritrea, flayer, Freya, gainsayer, layer, Malaya, Marbella, Maya, Mayer, Nouméa, obeyer, payer, player, portrayer, prayer, preyer, purveyor, slayer, sprayer, stayer, strayer, waylayer, weigher
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.