nounchiefly North American & • dialect
- A low or hollow place, especially a marshy depression between ridges.More example sentences
- At the locality in question, cast-dipping beds of the Middle Permian Park City and Phosphoria Formations form a succession of low ridges and intervening swales.
- Landscaping involved land leveling by lowering ridges and filling swales and was undertaken in connection with the construction of plazas and other special-use areas within most Mississippian centers.
- The orchids occurred in wet marshy swales and in open margins of wet shrubby thickets and ponds.
early 16th century: British, of unknown origin.
More definitions of swaleDefinition of swale in:
- The British & World English dictionary