Definition of swallowtail in English:
1 (also swallowtail butterfly) A large brightly colored butterfly with taillike projections (suggestive of a swallow’s tail) on the hind wings.
- Family Papilionidae: many genera and species, including the pipevine swallowtail (Battus philenor) of southern North America and the eastern tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) of eastern North America
- Citrus attracts the swallowtail butterfly, and the larvae resemble bird droppings, but you will want to leave the young alone for the sake of future butterflies.
- Dill and fennel are good plants for the caterpillars of the black swallowtail butterfly.
- After mating, the male tiger swallowtail butterfly deposits a small ‘mating plug’ inside the female to try to prevent her from mating again.
2 [usually as modifier] A deeply forked tail; a thing resembling such a tail in shape: swallowtail suits
More example sentences
- I am not going back as far as the days of the corduroy and the swallow-tailed coat but what I remember myself.
- Two military knights, in uniforms of scarlet swallowtail coats with black arm bands, stood in solemn vigil, guarding the Princess's coffin.
- They all look slightly ridiculous in their epaulets and tin pot hats and braided swallowtail coats.
- Example sentences
- The ones I missed right off the bat were the swallow-tailed butterflies (the big yellow and black ones that used to be everywhere), the long-tailed hummingbird and Lignum Vitae trees.
- Higher still, trapeze performers dive and fall: swallow-tailed kite, painted bunting, Cooper's hawk.
- There were gopher tortoises here and above us swallow-tailed kites.
Words that rhyme with swallowtailhorsetail • folktale
Definition of swallowtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan