Definition of swan dive in English:
A dive performed with one’s arms outspread until close to the water.
- Chessa did a perfect swan dive off the diving board into rippling water below her.
- In Tom's World, it's always better to try a swan dive and deliver a colossal belly flop than to step timidly off the board while holding your nose.
- To do the Mountain Pose with Prayer Hands, inhale as you reverse your swan dive, lifting your hands all the way up over your head.
verb[no object] (swan-dive) Back to top
Perform a swan drive.
- Were it within Blair's gift to serve up the fall of western civilisation on a plate, I might now be debating which bridge I'd prefer to swan-dive off, Blackfriars or Hammersmith.
- It's greatest effect was on the acquaintance who was there to watch over and make sure I didn't swan-dive into the fire.
- You stand on the top, take a photograph of Manhattan, spread out below you, then swan-dive into midair.
Words that rhyme with swan diveskydive • nosedive
Definition of swan dive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.