- 1An edible tropical tuber with pinkish orange, slightly sweet flesh.More example sentences
- Roasted rabbit, boiled sweet potato and baked pies with vegetable filling are local specialties.
- It may contain veal, beef, or lamb, sliced calf's foot, chickpeas or beans, potatoes or sweet potatoes, green vegetables such as spinach, and always hard-boiled eggs.
- While there isn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie to be had, there is plenty of brandy, gin, and wine on hand.
- 2The Central American climbing plant that yields the sweet potato, widely cultivated in warm countries.
More example sentences
- Ipomoea batatas, family Convolvulaceae
- The coast offers good harbours and the coastal plains are fertile, yielding sugarcane, sweet potatoes, and maize.
- Some of her favorite plants for container use include heather, scaevola, sweet potato vine and coleus.
- After middle May the sweet potato plants are in line for setting out.
- 3 • informal another term for ocarina.
More definitions of sweet potatoDefinition of sweet potato in:
- The British & World English dictionary