Definition of swiftlet in English:
A small swift found in southern Asia and Australasia.
- Genera Aerodramus and Collocalia, family Apodidae: many species
- The edible nests of swiftlets are used in bird's-nest soup, a delicacy in some countries.
- The villagers could not explain why scaffolding was required to collect bird droppings from the floor of the cave, and they were not aware of the swiftlets and their unique saliva nests.
- Echolocation - the trick of emitting sound pulses and navigating by accurate timing of the echoes - has evolved at least four times: in bats, toothed whales, oilbirds and cave swiftlets.
Definition of swiftlet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan