Definition of switcher in English:
1US A shunting engine.
- The switcher backs the new caboose on, and the new crew grabs the conductor's work sheets.
- On our right as we moved in reverse, we could see various AMTRAK engines, switchers, and Superliner equipment.
- West Toronto roundhouse continued in use for yard steam engines and later diesel yard switchers.
2A piece of electronic equipment used to select or combine different video and audio signals.
- More speakers are added over the rear doors, the audio/video switcher is installed, and the door speakers are put in place.
- Digital cameras, switchers, recorders and display devices are transforming how television signals can be used by security personnel for more accurate, reliable and effective surveillance and assessment.
- The system that controls which images are sent to which monitors at what time, is made up of the laser disc players and discs, the laptop computer, the time code reader, the synchroniser and the video switcher.
Definition of switcher in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.