- A livebearing freshwater fish of Central America, popular in aquariums. The lower edge of the tail is elongated and brightly marked in the male.
More example sentences
- Xiphophorus helleri, family Poeciliidae
- Many fish lay eggs, but some - including common aquarium fish such as guppies, swordtails, and mollies - retain the eggs inside their bodies until hatching.
- Such video techniques have been particularly effective in female mate choice studies in fishes, including guppies, sticklebacks, and swordtails.
- Poeciliids, namely guppies and swordtails, are favorite subjects of sexual selection studies, in particular those concerning mate choice and its role in the maintenance of male secondary sex traits.
More definitions of swordtailDefinition of swordtail in:
- The British & World English dictionary