Made up of exactly similar parts facing each other or around an axis; showing symmetry.
- The pressure hulls are arranged parallel to each other and symmetrical to a centerplane.
- Note that each shell valve is symmetrical about the midline, but the two shell valves are often unequal in size.
- In a perfectly symmetrical face, all midpoints will fall on the vertical midline.
evenly shaped, aligned, equal;
regular, uniform, consistent;
balanced, proportional, even
- Example sentences
- The normal umbilicus is symmetrically indented into the abdominal wall, though it may be nearly flat in very slender people.
- Each cell type is present symmetrically on either side of the midline.
- Bacteria divide symmetrically during normal growth and have a central constriction to bring about binary fission of the cell.
Words that rhyme with symmetricalasymmetrical, diametrical, geometrical, metrical, trimetrical
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.