Definition of sympetalous in English:
(Of a flower or corolla) having the petals united along their margins to form a tubular shape.
- Please take some time to observe the flower shapes among the various sympetalous flowers.
- A sympetalous corolla typically consists of three parts - the lobes, the throat, and the tube.
- These are the plants characterized by sympetalous corollas, epipetalous stamens, and having the number of stamens equal or less than the number of corolla lobes.
- Example sentences
- This may be a primitive character-state expression for the family (choripetaly in Azima is presumably less specialized than incipient sympetaly in Salvadora).
- Within a single genotype, gerbera flowers may vary in a number of parameters, including sex expression, symmetry, sympetaly, and pigmentation.
- There are thus two directions of adaptation: from polypetaly [many petals] to oligopetaly [fewer petals] and from separate petals to sympetaly [fused petals]
Definition of sympetalous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan