(Of a flower or corolla) having the petals united along their margins to form a tubular shape.
More example sentences
- Please take some time to observe the flower shapes among the various sympetalous flowers.
- A sympetalous corolla typically consists of three parts - the lobes, the throat, and the tube.
- These are the plants characterized by sympetalous corollas, epipetalous stamens, and having the number of stamens equal or less than the number of corolla lobes.
- More example sentences
- This may be a primitive character-state expression for the family (choripetaly in Azima is presumably less specialized than incipient sympetaly in Salvadora).
- Within a single genotype, gerbera flowers may vary in a number of parameters, including sex expression, symmetry, sympetaly, and pigmentation.
- There are thus two directions of adaptation: from polypetaly [many petals] to oligopetaly [fewer petals] and from separate petals to sympetaly [fused petals]
Definition of sympetalous in:
- The British & World English dictionary