Definition of symphysis in English:
noun (plural symphyses-ˌsēz)
1The process of growing together.
- Chemical pleurodesis consists of the introduction of asclerosing agent into the pleural cavity to achieve symphysis of the two pleural layers and, thus, obliteration of the pleural space.
- Pleurodesis, from the Greek pleura and desis (binding together), is intended to achieve a symphysis between parietal and visceral pleura.
- Dyspnea may respond to pleural fluid drainage followed by a pleurodesis procedure that creates a symphysis of the visceral and parietal pleuras, thereby preventing pleural fluid reaccumulation.
2A place where two bones are closely joined, either forming an immovable joint (as between the pubic bones in the center of the pelvis) or completely fused (as at the midline of the lower jaw).
- The medial surface of the dentary immediately below the first tooth is expanded to form a flat mandibular symphysis with a subcircular to rectangular outline.
- According to Von Meyer no mandibular tusks were present and most probably the jaw possessed a short elephantine symphysis.
- The canal narrows and becomes shallower anteriorly, terminating at the mandibular symphysis with a height of less than 1 mm and a depth of less than I mm.
- Example sentences
- The tooth plate has a prominent mesial angle, somewhat blunted, from which the labial margin slopes sharply distad, then veers outward, and finally turns distad again to parallel the straight symphyseal edge.
- Radiographic examination revealed an irregular radiolucency in the mandible symphyseal region between the right and left premolars.
- The oral surface bears three robust tritors: an elongate outer tritor along the labial margin and anterior and posterior tritors near the symphyseal margin.
- Example sentences
- In this view, soft tissues that permitted, and presumably helped to control, these inter-mandibular movements would have occupied the gap between the symphysial surfaces of the dentaries and splenials.
- Anteriorly, the symphysial surface is raised above the adjacent bone and is divided into an upper and lower arm (superior and inferior torus), which meet anteriorly and diverge posteriorly.
- From the anterior tip of the dentary, the symphysial area extends posteriorly along the dental shelf to the level of tooth four and posteroventrally along the anteroventral margin of the dentary to the level just anterior of tooth four.
Definition of symphysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.