Definition of synapomorphy in English:
noun (plural synapomorphies)Biology
1A characteristic present in an ancestral species and shared exclusively (in more or less modified form) by its evolutionary descendants.
- The only known synapomorphy of this group is the presence of a sesamoid bone in the heel region.
- But this is not very convincing, as it reveals only one valid synapomorphy.
- Those specimens include conclusive evidence of the strongest possible bird-theropod synapomorphy - completely modern feathers and the oldest, most birdlike dromaeosaurs.
1.1Possession by two or more organisms of a characteristic inherited exclusively from their common ancestor.
- The diagnosis of Glades through synapomorphy becomes the starting point for the investigation of functional, temporal, adaptive and biogeographic questions.
- It is through cladistic analysis that we are able to tell homoplasy from synapomorphy.
- Thus, when a SINE sequence is found at an orthologous locus in two or more lineages, it can be regarded as evidence for synapomorphy.
Definition of synapomorphy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan