noun[often with modifier] Biochemistry
- An enzyme that catalyzes the linking together of two molecules, especially without the direct involvement of ATP: nitric oxide synthases Compare with ligase.More example sentences
- Production was not abrogated by inhibitors of cyclooxygenases, xanthine oxidase, nitric oxide synthases, and mitochondrial enzymes.
- In contrast to the homotrimeric solution state of native riboflavin synthase, the enzyme was found to be monomeric in the crystal structure.
- Fluorouracil induces apoptosis by inhibition of the enzyme thymidylate synthase during DNA replication.
More definitions of synthaseDefinition of synthase in:
- The British & World English dictionary