Definition of tahr in English:
A goatlike mammal inhabiting cliffs and mountain slopes in Oman, southern India, and the Himalayas. Compare with thar.
- Genus Hemitragus, family Bovidae: three species
- He turns his lens time and again to the majesty and grace of the tahr, the endangered mountain goat found in the Western Ghats.
- Animal rights activists have reacted with anger after authorities began a cull of more than 100 rare Himalayan tahrs on Table Mountain, Cape Town's most famous landmark.
- The Himalayan tahr was successfully introduced to the South Island of New Zealand during 1904-1919 and now has a breeding range of approximately 5000 km.
mid 19th century: from Urdu.
Definition of tahr in:
- British & World English dictionary