A foreigner who is head of a business in China.
- According to the January, 1935 edition of Fortune Magazine, the average salary of taipans working in large foreign hongs was $75,000 per year.
- Sources say he is frequently sought out for advice and counsel by real taipans, some of Hong Kong's most powerful businessmen.
- Maggie Keswick's family had been merchants in China for 150 years and, by marrying into the Jardine family, became taipans of the Jardine Matheson company - a corporation which virtually ran Hong Kong.
Words that rhyme with taipanfrypan
A large, brown, highly venomous Australian snake.
- Genus Oxyuranus, family Elapidae: two species, in particular O. scutellatus
- For example, Australian snakes such as the taipan and the brown snake use two active enzymes in their venom that are also present in human blood: factor X and factor V.
- Even Australia's most dangerous snake, the taipan, carries enough venom to kill 30 adults, but its bite is not actually very painful, and it can take several hours for an untreated victim to die.
- Just this February, Dr. Fry and his colleagues filed a patent for a molecule found in the venom of the inland taipan that may help treat congestive heart failure.
1930s: from Wik Munkan (an extinct Aboriginal language of northern Queensland) dhayban.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan