chiefly North American
Definition of takedown in English:
1A wrestling maneuver in which an opponent is swiftly brought to the mat from a standing position.
- I had an advantage over all the other boys I had to wrestle; Ambucs had a fantastic head coach who taught us techniques out of any jam and ways of surprising your opponent with a takedown.
- I went back to learning judo throws and wrestling takedowns.
- The most common takedowns come mainly from freestyle wrestling.
3 [as modifier] Denoting a firearm with the capacity to have the barrel and magazine detached from the stock.
- There's room for tons of gear or even a takedown rifle or shotgun.
- The old Favorites were all takedown guns, while the new Model 30G was a solid frame.
- Regardless, Taylor's & Co. is now offering a Model 92 as a perfect companion for .44 Special sixguns with the added bonus of being a takedown rifle.
Definition of takedown in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia