1North American Food that is cooked and sold by a restaurant or store to be eaten elsewhere: let’s just order takeout [as modifier]: takeout pizza
More example sentences
- At the end of the day, Amy was usually too tired to cook, so she dined on takeout pizza or Chinese food.
- One last bit of advice: Make sure you have the phone numbers of your favorite pizza parlor and Chinese takeout restaurant on speed dial.
- We like Paul's cooking, and everyone likes it when I order takeout food for dinner.
2 Bridge A bid in a different suit made in response to a bid or double by one’s partner.
- When your opponent asks for an explanation of a no-trump overcall, state that your partner has ten to fifteen points, the bid is artificial, and it is for takeout.
- And although Charlie hadn't made it clear when he announced the convention, it should have been obvious to me that his doubles of overcalls couldn't possibly be for takeout, since that would most likely lead to his wife's becoming declarer.
Words that rhyme with takeoutbreakout, stakeout
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of takeout in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.