noun (plural tallymen)
- 1A person who keeps a score or record of something.More example sentences
- I believe more consultation should be done before electronic counting mechanisms eliminate the transparency needed by tallymen in Irish elections.
- Eventually, the boxes are all opened, the tallymen deliver their last figures to the computer room and within minutes we have a final figure.
- And as returning officers have learnt over the years, only a fool would stand up to announce an official result without checking first with the tallyman.
- 2British A person who sells merchandise on credit, especially from door to door.More example sentences
- Mr Poolman, who was widowed in 1988, started work as a tallyman selling clothes door-to-door, but he decided to start his own business.
More definitions of tallymanDefinition of tallyman in:
- The British & World English dictionary