1The field of study that deals with the Jewish law.
- The curriculum is designed with the understanding that the role of Talmud Torah and Shalhevet is to act as a supplement to a Jewish home and synagogue life.
- The intra-traditional mode of study, ‘Talmud Torah,’ is contrasted with the extra-traditional mode, ‘Jewish Studies.’
- The literature of the Reform Movement understands Talmud Torah, Torah study, to be a mitzvah, a commandment.
1.1A communal school where children are instructed in Judaism.
- Local references in Jewish newspapers over the years to Talmud Torahs were of similar meaning.
- In 1917, the six individual Talmud Torah schools merged as the United Talmud Torahs of Montreal.
- Today I support day schools to achieve the same levels as were achieved in the Talmud Torahs.
Definition of Talmud Torah in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.