- A large metal gong with indefinite pitch.More example sentences
- The piece, scored for four percussionists, is played by the percussion group using a big array of gongs, tam-tams, tom-toms, suspended brake drums and so on, but is neither bombastic nor boring.
- In the orchestra, I am thinking of using a certain number of brass and also metallic percussion: tubular bells, gongs, tam-tam, etc.
- He caps this ‘movement’ with a resonant tam-tam that may not be in the score but it definitely adds to the effect!
mid 19th century: perhaps from Hindi ṭam-ṭam (see tom-tom).
More definitions of tam-tamDefinition of tam-tam in:
- The British & World English dictionary