Definition of tamarin in English:
A small forest-dwelling South American monkey of the marmoset family, typically brightly colored and with tufts and crests of hair around the face and neck.
- Genera Saguinus and Leontopithecus, family Callitrichidae (or Callithricidae): several species
- In marmosets and tamarins - the little South American monkeys that are, besides us, the only full-fledged cooperative breeders among primates - a female has to be ready to be a helper this year and a mother the next.
- Human cold sores, he said, can kill smaller monkeys like marmosets and tamarins.
- Among tamarins and spider monkeys, all males are dichromats - they can't perceive reds or greens.
Late 18th century: from French, from Galibi.
Definition of tamarin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.