(also tompion /ˈtämpēən/)
- 1A wooden stopper for the muzzle of a gun.More example sentences
- In this case it was the seaman responsible for opening the tampion who had forgotten to do his job.
- All that remains is the ship's bell, the wheel and some of the tompions that protected the barrels of her guns.
- The sale will include 19 ship's bells and 22 ship's name boards, together with a small number of items such as tampions and honours boards.
late Middle English: from French tampon 'tampon'.
More definitions of tampionDefinition of tampion in:
- The British & World English dictionary