- 1 (in full cardiac tamponade) Compression of the heart by an accumulation of fluid in the pericardial sac.More example sentences
- A doctor may confirm a diagnosis of cardiac tamponade by an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram).
- Thirteen of the patients were initially asymptomatic, seven presented with atypical chest pain and seven were admitted to the hospital with overt cardiac tamponade.
- Patients with chronic, large pericardial effusion may be asymptomatic but can develop cardiac tamponade precipitously.
- 2The surgical use of a plug of absorbent material.More example sentences
- Presence of retinal detachment makes the operative procedure more complex; these patients require some kind of tamponade at the end of surgery - either gas or silicone oil; and overall visual improvement is very guarded.
- Acute management consists of resuscitation and control of bleeding by sclerotherapy or balloon tamponade
- At the time of transfer, the patient was again febrile with a new posterior nares hemorrhage that required packing and tamponade.
More definitions of tamponadeDefinition of tamponade in:
- The British & World English dictionary