- A Chinese geometric puzzle consisting of a square cut into seven pieces that can be arranged to make various other shapes.More example sentences
- Of indeterminate age - at least 150 but maybe much older, say, dating back to Pythagoras and his right triangles - the 7 tangram pieces (credited by some sources to the Chinese) can form countless different designs.
- It is interesting however to see how many convex figures you can make from the 7 tangram pieces.
- Some mornings I'll put the tangram sets on the table with a puzzle for each child to solve.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of tangramDefinition of tangram in:
- The British & World English dictionary