noun (plural same)
1A North American people native to New Mexico.
- Most archeologists believe that the Taos Indians along with other Pueblo Indians settled along the Rio Grande migrated from the Four Corners region.
- The Taos Indians, being great hunters, are also famous for their work with animal skins moccasins, boots and drums.
- A deep forested mountain valley cradles a small lake that is the headwaters of Rio Pueblo, which tumbles through the village of the Taos people.
1.2The language of the Taos.
- Taos belongs to a northern sub-grouping on the Tiwa branch of the Kiowa-Tanoan language family.
- In data collected in 1935 and 1937, he notes that Taos was spoken by all members of the Taos Pueblo community.