1A hollow in which natural tar accumulates by seepage.
- He was a dinosaur who, instead of crawling off to some distant tar pit to die, took an entire industry with him into the abyss.
- Most of those bones, which began accumulating in the tar pits about 44,000 years ago, were exhumed early in the 1900s, he says.
- It wasn't horribly interesting watching a bunch of natural tar pits and the skeletons of animals that were found in them.
2A complicated or difficult situation or problem: the tar pit of municipal poverty
More example sentences
- If use of urban land were not such a tar pit of regulation & litigation, surely a vigorous government, exercising eminent domain, might have done something with the site by now.
- Excepting his frequent dips into the tar pit of toxic love, he isn't regarded to have done too badly.
- In an effort to tame the tar pit, various researchers in the software engineering field have proposed methods of software development that promise to bring sanity to the programming process.
Definition of tar pit in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.