Definition of tarantula in English:
- The children were given the chance to handle giant snails, snake, frogs, tarantulas, scorpions, millipedes and cockroaches.
- An evolutionary biologist at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina, specializes in trapdoor and funnel-web spiders, and tarantulas.
- These hot and dry rocky slopes support scorpions, tarantulas, collared lizards, pygmy rattlesnakes, roadrunners, and prickly pear cacti.
- Lycosa tarentula, family Lycosidae
- By means of dancing and sweating, those bitten by tarantulas endeavor to expel the infected vapors.
- Tarantism, that is, the disease resulting from having been bitten by a tarantula, was well known in southern Europe, and references to it permeated medical literature, music, and folklore for 500 years or more.
The Italian seaport of Taranto gave its name to the tarantula, a large black spider found in southern Europe. Its bite was formerly thought to cause tarantism, a psychological illness marked by an extreme impulse to dance, which affected many people in Italy from the 15th to the 17th century. The rapid whirling tarantella (late 18th century) dance gets its name from the same source, as it was believed to be a cure for tarantism, with people dancing the tarantella until exhausted.
Words that rhyme with tarantulanebula • scheduler
Definition of tarantula in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.