- A man’s cap similar to a fez, typically of red felt with a tassel at the top.More example sentences
- It may come as a surprise to some that the most prized tarbooshes were those imported from Austria.
- The room was full of Egyptians, sitting drinking black coffee with the red tarbooshes on their heads.
- A dying craft, tarbooshes never seem to be anywhere except on the heads of tourists or in souvenir shops.
early 18th century: from Egyptian Arabic ṭarbūš, based on Persian sarpūš, from sar 'head' + pūš 'cover'.
More definitions of tarbooshDefinition of tarboosh in:
- The British & World English dictionary