A large tropical marine fish of herringlike appearance.
- Two species in the family Megalopidae: Tarpon atlanticus, a prized Atlantic game fish, and Megalops cyprinoides of the Indo-Pacific
More example sentences
- Among these clades are such diverse forms as arawanas, knifefishes, mormyrids, eels, tarpon, and herring.
- Biologists also are in varying stages of research and replenishment of cobia, speckled trout, tarpon, snook, crappie, bluegill and striped bass stocks.
- There are also, in separate sections, adult turtles and big fish like jewfish, tarpon, snook and stingrays.
late 17th century: probably from Dutch tarpoen, perhaps from a Central American language.
Definition of tarpon in:
- The British & World English dictionary