Definition of tautog in English:
A grayish-olive edible wrasse (fish) that occurs off the Atlantic coast of North America.
- Tautoga onitis, family Labridae
- And we put no credence whatever in the old myth that the vent of the tautog closes over in winter.
- Taken by rod, reel, and spear from May through October, tautog is an important sport fish in Rhode Island.
- There should be more of a regional management approach for both commercial and recreational tautog fisheries.
mid 17th century: from Narragansett tautauog, plural of taut.
Definition of tautog in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan