Definition of tayra in English:
A large, agile, tree-dwelling animal of the weasel family, with a short dark coat, native to Central and South America.
- Eira barbara, family Mustelidae
- When Foster lost his funding, he left Matola with custody of two jaguars, a puma, an anteater, a tayra, three coatimundis, five curassows, and a cage of parrots.
- Although usually silent, the tayra has been known to give yowls, snarls, or clicks when in groups.
- The tayra occasionally eats poultry and raids corn and sugar fields, but damage is usually minimal.
Mid 19th century: from Tupi taira.
Definition of tayra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.