1 informal A difficult or tricky question or task.
- He said: ‘Laurie is amazing for her age, she does crosswords, puzzles, teasers and she plays Scrabble.’
- They certainly can Jonnie, and our mail bag is bulging following your tricky teaser.
- Ballmer was asked the classic teaser question: what he would have done differently.
question, problem, quandary, poser
2A person who makes fun of or provokes others in a playful or unkind way.
- In an odd way, both the teasers and supporters appear to help youths keep pledges.
- Geraldo Rivera is a war correspondent, or so the teasers on Fox News tell us.
- Calling her son after a cheesy Abba song can only have created the need for him to prove he was not the nancy boy that the less open-minded - and there are plenty of playground teasers in that bracket - might have assumed from his moniker.
2.2A short introductory advertisement for a product, especially one that does not mention the name of the thing being advertised.
- J K Rowling has been particularly secretive about the plot, but she has released a couple of short extracts as a teaser.
- There's two trailers, a short teaser and a longer full trailer, both available in Dolby Digital 5.1 and anamorphic widescreen.
- Also, the previews showed a teaser for a movie called ‘Goodbye Lenin’ that looks interesting as well - it's about a German woman who wakes up from a coma.
advertisement, hook, come-on
2.3 Fishing A lure or bait trailed behind a boat to attract fish.
- I am about to make a turn back, the two of us still looking for further splashes when without warning the short bait, riding behind the Big Herbie teaser, is smacked hard and instantly we are into a fish.
- I saw the fish clearly then, bill out of the water, the fish acting like a sailfish at a teaser.
- The boat seemed almost to be floating on nothing: suspended, as it were, sixty feet above the brilliant corals, as we trolled our teasers, about half a mile offshore.
2.4An inferior stallion or ram used to excite mares or ewes before they are served by the stud animal.
- In this context the Department has urged breeders - thoroughbred and non-thoroughbred alike - to test and vaccinate stallions and teasers to be used during 2004 breeding season.
- The other two horses - a teaser and a retired lead pony - were both owned by Ford.
Words that rhyme with teaserappeaser, Caesar, easer, Ebenezer, El Giza, freezer, geezer, geyser, Louisa, Pisa, seizer, squeezer, Teresa, Theresa, visa, wheezer
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.