Definition of technocracy in English:
noun (plural technocracies)
1The government or control of society or industry by an elite of technical experts.
- They stand against ‘industrial society in all its forms; against neoliberalism and technocracy, and against corporate crooks and their allies in government’.
- With the decline of the critical intellectual, the thinker gives way to the expert, politics yields to technocracy, and culture and education lapse into forms of social therapy.
- Admittedly, this optimism was tempered by his faith in democracy, and his hints about the growing threat of technocracy to democracy.
1.1An instance or application of technocracy.
- I do believe direct representation should be the defining aspect of democracy and what you find in Europe is more a ruling technocracy than a democracy.
- I had already done a theocratic technocracy, so why not a feudal democracy?
- Not in so many words, she viewed my new handset as just another exotic creation of a transnational technocracy using technology to get us to spend our obsessive consumerist, materialist dollars.
1.2An elite of technical experts.
- So you're not worried about the development of a sort of elite technocracy running the global brain machines?
- I say despite itself, because to advance its legitimacy, the technocracy has promoted an exaggerated secularization of society that is simultaneously radical and very damaging.
- Thus, the highest positions of prestige and authority would be assumed by a meritocratic elite of intelligence and creativity: the technocracy.
Early 20th century: from Greek tekhnē 'art, craft' + -cracy.
Words that rhyme with technocracyadhocracy, aristocracy, autocracy, bureaucracy, democracy, gerontocracy, gynaecocracy (US gynecocracy), hierocracy, hypocrisy, meritocracy, mobocracy, monocracy, plutocracy, theocracy
Definition of technocracy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.