noun[treated as singular or plural] Geology
- Large-scale processes affecting the structure of the earth’s crust.More example sentences
- These data clearly demonstrate that parts of the Scottish basement underwent major thick-skinned tectonics during the Grenvillian orogeny.
- As the two examples confirm, the largest failures and most rapid rock-slope development rates are associated with steep, mountain environments and with active tectonics.
- The significant time gap between orogenic deformation and thermal metamorphism implies that metamorphism in many other orogens may not necessarily be due to compressive tectonics.
More definitions of tectonicsDefinition of tectonics in:
- The British & World English dictionary